Australian Open champion Victoria Azarenka could be looking at a Wimbledon crown if her net game continues to evolve. In an exclusive interview with Australian Tennis Magazine this month, Azarenka reveals how additional fitness work has enhanced her net coverage, leading to an 88 per cent success rate of net approaches against Maria Sharapova in the Australian final.
“My volleys helped me a lot in Australia, and they will continue to help me because it puts a lot of pressure on my opponents,” the world No2 tells Paul Fein.
Azarenka also opens up about rivalries in women’s tennis, how she likes to interact with fans, and which major title she would most like to win including the London Olympics.
Also in the Australian Tennis Magazine July issue:
- French Open flashback: Rafael Nadal in Seventh Heaven/Maria Sharapova poster
- Your guide to the London 2012 Olympics
- David Ferrer: the unsung Gladiator of the top 10
- Stat That! The best records in Tennis
- Getting to the heart of it: why top athletes can suffer from serious health problems
- Andy Murray’s forehand
- At a stretch – building strength to fetch that wide ball